Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's been a while

Most of the people who will read this blog read our previous blog http://verhoef5.blogspot.com/ however, after 9:30am tomorrow there will be 6 of us making the previous blog name obsolete. I suppose we could have changed the name but where is the fun in that? I think the new title better summarizes the purpose of the blog, which is to share how Jacey and I "waste" our time doing the things that really and truly matter the most.


It is ironic then that the first post in this new blog has nothing to do with the kids or our family, just us bringing our kitchen into the 21st century. I'm normally not the type to boast, but as I think you will see the transformation warranted a little bragging.

As some background Jacey and I sold our home in Fayetteville in June and moved 55 miles north to Marietta, east Cobb to be specific. We bought an older home in a great neighborhood with tons of potential. It was very well kept, but was in desperate need of updating. Much of the house just needed a fresh coat of paint and new fixtures, but the kitchen was another story. Here are a few pictures of it shortly after we moved in:



Please take note of the 1982 "designer" wallpaper, original oak cabinets and fabulous gold chandelier. Every time I walked into the kitchen I got a strange urge to dig out my Members Only jacket and Hypercolor t-shirt and crank up Thriller, but I digress.

One weekend I took out all my aggression and ended the day with this:
One of two things I paid for and did not do myself occurred next. In a matter of two days, the kitchen went from that to this:

The next day they came out to template for the second thing I paid for and did not do myself, the granite countertops. By this time it had been just over two weeks of no kitchen sink, dishwasher or counter space. We prepared and ate our meals in the dining room on a makeshift countertop and ate off of paper plates and with plastic utensils. I can describe this in two words: it sucked. While waiting for the countertops to be ordered and cut I busied myself wiring the under cabinet lights, painting, etc.



Once the counter tops were in I started tiling.
Three days later I finished.

With the light at the end of the tunnel in sight, I called in sick the next day (which was not really a lie, I was in fact sick of the kitchen) and put the finishing touches on it. I added light fixtures, hooked up the sink and dishwasher, reinstalled the stove and mounted the hood vent.

And now, without further delay, I give you our kitchen:

We still need a matching stainless steel microwave, but other than that we are finished and absolutely love it.

Kitchen Cabinets: $$$$$$$
Appliances: $$$$
Granite Countertops: $$$$
Light fixtures, sink, faucet: $$$
Tile: $

Not hearing the theme song to "Perfect Strangers" every time we walk into the kitchen: Priceless...

4 comments:

Oma said...

I LOVE it!!! What a GREAT post--I'm just so glad you're blogging again. You and Jacey both have such great senses of humor and I've missed being able to see pictures and hear about the latest goings-on. I know you're only 55 miles away, but sometimes it feels like a million...now I can see and read about what you're doing while I'm home and in my pajamas! ;-)

The kitchen is completely spectacular--you DESERVE to brag!

Nikki said...

WOW!!! I can't believe the transformation, it looks fantastic!!

And I'm SOOO glad you guys have rejoined the blogger world, I can't wait to see what happens next...

See you guys soon!!

Kimberly said...

Kimberly is completely jealous, so thank you to that! It looks like one of those transformations you see on that show Divine Design on HGTV......Good for you! I have to ask, where did you learn all that from??

heidistitches said...

Bryan,
Okay, (1) You are supposed to keep me informed about this stuff to keep my family contact sheet up to date and (2) Can you come a week early to the reunion, I've got some things I'd like you to do! Wonderful transformation. You did not inherit this trait from the VerHoef side of the family!

Followers